Karela or bitter gourd is not liked by some people because of its bitter taste . The first thing that comes to my mind seeing it is the bitterness in the name. They are dark or light green in colour depending on the region where they are grown. Though they taste very bitter, they are filled with many beneficial antioxidants and essential vitamins .My son now a days started eating it when I prepared this stuffed Karela .Its very simple and tasty recipe which everyone can try .
- Clean and slit the karela from center .Remove the seeds inside carefully ,do not break it up.
- Put these karelas into pressure cooker and add little water and salt .cook them for one whistle and remove from cooker and keep it dry for some time .
- For stuffing :
- Add litle oil in pan .Add 1/2 tsp jeera ,allow it to splutter then add chopped onions ,green chilly and fry till golden color comes .
- Then add roasted peanut powder ,besan , and all the masalas and fry little . Add salt to taste . In last sprinkle sugar and lemon jucies and remove from flame.Keep it as side to cool .
- Then take karela and stuff the masala into it using spoon and press the stuffing properly so that it does not come out .
- Add little oil to sauce pan and put all the stuffed karelas into it and fry for 10 mins .Once they are fried ,remove and serve hot with rice .